Welcome to Elmwood Academy Health Room
Hello, my name is Kelly Hoover. I serve as the Certified School Nurse at Elmwood Academy.
I look forward to working with and getting to know you and your students.
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns regarding your student.
You may Be Wondering....What Does a Certified School Nurse Do?
The overall goal of the CSN is to support student academic goals while attending to the health and wellness of the students and staff.
CSNs intervene when students and staff exhibit health concerns but also serve in many other capacities in a school setting. Some of these responsibilities include:
- Proactively encourage healthy mental and physical development
- Assess and monitor the immunization status and maintain medical and dental records of students while adhering to the guidelines of FERPA
- Conduct health screenings ( height, weight, vision, hearing and scoliosis) and generate referrals when appropriate
- Collaborate with staff, families and students regarding health and safety awareness programs
- Serve in a leadership role to help foster a healthy school environment
- Provide case management services, such as serve as a liaison between school personnel, families, community and health care providers
- Develop individual health care plans for students with acute and/or chronic health conditions
- Participate in IEP and 504 plans with medical components
Meet Mrs. Hoover
- Originally from Philipsburg, Pa
- Currently live in Mechanicsburg, Pa
- My husband and I have 4 children ages 20, 17, and 15 year old twins
- Graduated from Juniata College in 1994 with a BA
- Graduated from Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing with a BSN in 1995
- Pediatric Nurse Certification 1997
- School Nurse Certification from Millersville University 2003
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Adolescent Medical Surgical Unit
- Penn State Hershey Pediatric Oncology Unit
- Penn State Hershey Pediatric Clinic- Hope Drive
- Penn State Hershey Pediatric Subspecialty Clinic
- Milton Hershey School Health Center and school based clinics