Skip to main content

Elmwood Academy

Mobile Menu Toggle
District Home
Our School » FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are answers to frequently asked questions related to procedures at Elmwood Academy:

We believe that physical activity is an important part of children learning and growing in many ways.  Elmwood Academy students participate in a daily recess time where they have the opportunity to develop physically and socially through play.
Students are not permitted to enter the building until 7:30 AM.  The tardy bell rings at 7:45 AM.

Reporting Absences

If your child will be absent from school or tardy to school, please call the school office at 691-4578. Feel free to call at anytime and leave a message on voice mail. Please send in a signed excuse upon your child's return to school. If an excuse is not received within three days of the absence, your child will be marked illegally absent.  If your child is absent for three or more consecutive days your child must return with a doctor's excuse.

Student Appointments

If your child must leave school for an appointment, please send a note into school to alert the office of your child's dismissal.  A parent or guardian must come into the office and sign the student out. The student should also be signed in by the parent or guardian upon return to school. 


Research shows that breakfast is the most important meal of a person’s day.  Grab and Go Breakfast is available for purchase daily to all students.  Breakfast Menus are sent home monthly. Meals can be deducted from your child’s account (see lunch below for instructions). 


Students may carry a packed lunch to school or they may purchase lunch provided in the school cafeteria (milk is included). Milk may also be purchased separately for $.60.
Food Service Payments
The Mechanicsburg Area School District Food Service Department has a computerized meal accounting system that allows you to pre-pay for meals or milk and reduces the chance of lost or misplaced money. The money should be sent to your student’s school or by using the online food service program at   If you are sending a check, please have checks made out to MASD FOOD SERVICE. Please place the check in an envelope and clearly print the following on the outside of the envelope: the student’s first and last name, grade, teacher and the amount in the envelope.

Bus Transportation

Only those students who live in the bus transportation area are permitted to ride the school bus. Students may only ride their assigned buses and must get on and off at their assigned stops. Students who walk to school and/or who are not assigned to a bus, may not ride the bus to go home with friends, etc.


Students are permitted to ride bicycles to school if they provide written permission from their parent/guardian.  Permission forms are available here and in the office.  A new form must be submitted for each child, each year. Students must wear their helmets and are asked to respect the property of others by not riding on lawns, etc. Students must also obey the crossing guards. Roller blades and skateboards are not permissible forms of transportation.


We encourage parents/guardians to volunteer their time and talents to help our students learn and grow in the building or on a field trip. As per school board policy, all volunteers must complete the school district volunteer packet and be on the approved volunteer list.  The volunteer packet is available on the school district website.  Please note that younger siblings are not permitted to accompany volunteers to the classroom.